Week 4 – Free Verse

Hello Everybody! This week’s assignment is to do a free verse, so here is a short story that I wrote…

Jason was soaked with sweat as he jogged over to his team’s bench for a timeout. He looked up at the scoreboard, and it read, Home – 49 Visitors – 35 with 3:47 left in the state championship for Jason’s basketball team. Unfortunately, his team was the visitors. He payed attention to the plays that his coach was telling them to do, then jogged back out to the court. They needed to come back 14 points in less than 4 minutes. Unfortunately, things got even worse. The opposing team scored two three pointers in a row, before Jason’s teammate, Timmy scored a layup, making the score 55 – 37 with  2:58 on the clock. However, Jason’s team was able to make a big comeback, making the score 59 – 56, but they were still losing, and had only 37 seconds left in the game. The next two drives just made the game even closer. Both teams scored, the opposing team got a two pointer, and Jason’s team got a three pointer. This made the score 61-59 with just 5 seconds left on the clock, and Jason’s team was in bounding it from the far end of the court. Timmy threw the ball far to Jason, and the clock started to tick down. Jason dribbled the ball up to half court, 0:03, he brought the ball up, 0:02, finally he shot the ball with all of his power, with 1 second left. The buzzer went off as the ball soared through the air, and swished straight through the net. Jason had won the game.

2 thoughts on “Week 4 – Free Verse

1. Hi Marco,
    What a suspenseful game. The spectators must have been sitting on the edge of their seats, biting their nails. Even I was sitting on the edge of my seat. You wrote the tension of the story well. I’m guessing you’re a basketball fan. I played basketball years ago when I was in college. It was fun, but I don’t think I ever played a game as suspenseful as Jason’s.
    Best wishes,
    Norah (StuBC commenter)

• Norah,
      Thanks so much for the comment and for the compliments on this story. Also, you are correct when you said I am a basketball fan. I play basketball for my school team, but I also love to just play in my driveway. I have played some close games but I also have never played a game as suspenseful as Jason’s.
      Thanks for the comment!

Marco